choose life and make it lovely

my kitchen smiles at me

so for something *not* homeschooling related, i bring you my version of  life made lovely monday.  the very sweet heather over at blessed little nest is hosting a new linky party celebrating everyday life.  we are huge fans of this concept at casa hart.  so i wanted to join in.

God says, 
I am offering you life or death, blessing or curse. Choose life, then, so that you and your descendants may live.  (Deuteronomy 30:19)
Choose life. That's God's call for us, and there is not a moment in which we do not have to make that choice. Life and death are always before us. In our imaginations, our thoughts, our words, our gestures, our actions ... even in our nonactions. This choice for life starts in a deep interior place. Underneath very life-affirming behaviour I can still harbour death-thoughts and death-feelings. The most important question is not "Do I kill?" but "Do I carry a blessing in my heart or a curse?"
Henri Nouwen

the above quote from henri nouwen showed up in my inbox this morning.  the phrase *choose life* stayed with me.  jotting things like this on one of the kitchen door chalkboards is a simple way to keep it with me throughout the week.

choose life (and make it lovely)

are *you* choosing life?  everyday?

i never shared a follow-up on our facelift from the spring.  mostly because i hadn't done any curtain making, picture hanging, finishing touch putting on the room since then.  (i am confident *finishing touch putting* does not make much sense.)

that all changed this weekend.  amidst sick kiddos and final homeschool prep, i snuck in a quick trip to goodwill saturday morning.  checking to see if some school things might be found before hitting up target.  no such luck in that department.  but i hit the jackpot as i casually walked by the linens.

my kitchen smiles at me

this oh-so-sweet and lovely vintage fabric was waiting for me.  it even called me by name i think.  can you even believe it? at 72 cents a yard and an extreme underestimate of 3 yards by the cashier - closer to 5 - it was a steal.

i cut a few panels and sewed up some quick rod pockets on sunday.  we also finally put up a few pictures and our hanging basket.  a great kind of homeschool prep.  taking time to make our home a little lovelier.  i was tired.  it was not super convenient.  but it was a special type of medicine for my heart.

and when i walked into my kitchen this morning before we began our first day of lessons, the room smiled at me. 

go say hi to heather and see what others are doing to make their lives lovely.

p.s. i *did not* stage my shopping list.  it never looks that pretty.  i mean, really - brie, apricot jam, and cinnamon?  how likely is that? :)

3 comments:

Heather @ Life Made Lovely said...

i love that feeling...when your house smiles at you. i know just what you mean and it's the exact feeling i strive for in my house. your curtains turned out so great and i love the happy colors!!

Lora said...

i LOVE those curtains!! yeah. your kitchen looks so happy. and thanks for the "choose life" reminder. i needed that!
lora

Ann Boyd said...

I'm totally going to erase my whole shopping list and just write out yours for the beauty of it. That is gorgeous!

Post a Comment

hey there. i love to read your comments! thanks for stopping by!