a day in the life of ruth


you are invited to spend a day in the life of her.
the gal who you might think has it all together.  the mama who seems to do it all.
guess what?  she doesn't.
let's fight those lies.  this new series is an effort to dispel the superwoman myth.  it is a time to be encouraged and a place to be challenged. 
i have invited some wonderful women who want to be real with y'all.  they want to share their struggles and triumphs.  they want to give you a true glimpse into their everyday.  it might not be glamorous, but it is real and beautiful.
each thursday this summer, come walk a bit in the shoes of another.

***************************************************


GraceLaced is my online home, but Iʼm so honored to be sharing with you today over here at Annaleaʼs.


Iʼm a mother of 5 boys--ages 8 wks to 9 years old and wife to a man who pastors a church we planted and is headmaster over a Classical school we helped to start. I homeschool part-time and cook full-time. I sew and paint rarely, but blog regularly. This is a good description of what I do, but not of who I am, really.

Annalea asked me to share a day in my life, a realistic portrait that I know will dispel any notion of me “having it all together” or being a “super-mom.” To the contrary, doing is but an overflow of being, and being at rest in the finished work of Christ is the only means by which I have any hope of making a meaningful life out of the mess that is me. May you step into my day, and step out onto yours, experiencing more greatly the faithfulness of our God!

When the 8wk old wakes--around 6:30


I stumble downstairs and kiss The Preacher, whoʼs been up for at least an hour, in the Word and on his knees. I grab my Bible and squeeze in some alone time before the kiddos awake. I cherish the quiet...I know itʼs about to get really loud around here. The kids come down one at a time, and join us in our pre-breakfast meal.


After breakfast


While my two oldest take turns practicing piano, and then carry out morning chores with the younger ones, I get on the computer and check email, post each dayʼs blog post on Facebook. I donʼt usually comment, like, or click around because Iʼve learned to guard my time...and my heartʼs focus.


Did I mention that I have to re-instruct, re-train, assist, and correct at least one child in cleaning his room every day? I struggle with desiring perfection, and desiring to have it done NOW. I have to remind myself daily that my kids are not projects to check off my list--they are little people to mold.

The Preacher works two jobs from home. The kids forget this little fact everyday; I remind them everyday. Picking up and cleaning seems to go on perpetually when thereʼs the 7 of us in this house 24/7.


By 9am

By now, Iʼve usually visited the restroom with at least 2 boys for correction and tender talks about their need for the Gospel. Sometimes I want to just say “Quit it, or else,” but I know better and believe better.

By now, Iʼve usually started a load of laundry.

By now, thereʼs been at least one hurt feeling, one scraped knee, one unkind exchange of words, and one reconciliation.

By now, Iʼve pulled something out of the freezer in preparation for dinner.

By this time of day, Iʼm already praying for patience and preaching to my heart.


Mid-morning

The Preacher reads, makes phone calls (sometimes in the garage), emails, and writes...
The kids and I continue chores around the house...which would be done in a fraction of the time if I didnʼt include them, yes, but still...the training continues.

Baby wakes, I pause for 20 minutes to nurse, breathe, rest, and pray.
Out comes legos, chess, swords, rifles, train-sets, and forts...hopefully not all at the same time...yet, sometimes, when it comes to picking up the house, it does feel like one step forward, two steps back. I remind myself that I love having 5 boys. Because I really do love raising children more than I love a perfect house.


Noonish

Everyoneʼs hungry. What will it be today? Thereʼs a request for homemade tomato soup and grilled cheese. My oldest offers to make tuna salad. How about a tuna melt with tomato soup?


Everyone gets a job: Number 1 helps prepare lunch, Number 2 empties the dishwasher, Number 3 sets the table, Number 4 thinks heʼs helping by taste-testing, and Number 5 gets restless in his bouncy seat.

Put the baby to bed, and the other 6 of us sit down to lunch. Today, the Preacherʼs joining us, and we listen to an audio recording of the Bible during lunch. He gives the kiddos a strong reminder to obey and honor their mother. He gives me a long hug before returning to his studies. Most of the kids leave us alone when we hug. They need to see us united.


1:30

Boys come in from war-games in the backyard, and Number 4 heads up for a nap. Number 1 works on math and Latin, and then reads for the remainder of the afternoon.
Heʼs currently reading Fellowship of the Ring, for the second time.
Number 2 is reading Little Pilgrimʼs Progress. Number 3 plays Connect Four. Thatʼs some days...and I get on the computer to respond to emails and make ministry calls.

Other times, this is the scene:
Number 2 and 3 wrestle instead of read while I make an important phone call, rambunctious laughing, accidental whacking, loud crying, napping Number 4 wakes early and cries bitterly, waking Number from his baby slumber. I send Number 1 to comfort Number 4, I nurse Number 5, Number 1 takes Number 4 to the potty, then takes the puppy outside to potty, I finish up with nursing, then address the two wrestling maniacs with correction, not for laughing or playing, but for not heeding my directions in the first place.


Mid-afternoon

When there's not fires to put out either within or outside our family's borders, we like to gather around for afternoon tea.


I begin preparing for dinner. One boy always asks to help with cooking. Another will unload the dishwasher, the other two boys get the latest load of laundry out of the dryer. I remind them not to play with the clean clothes, not to climb into the front load machine, and not to fight over who gets to push the basket out of the laundry room.

A few times a week, especially when the temp hits over 100 here, the boys seek outdoor adventure through their friend, Bear. Man vs. Wild is their current obsession.


5pm

Dinner is on the table. I love to eat at the table. The television is never on. Music plays, and everyone talks at once the kids take turn talking about their day.


A few times a week, our table is shared with those we seek to bless. The kids join in the conversation and observe and learn hospitality. On those nights, the evening is spent rejoicing with others, sharing anotherʼs burdens, counseling in Truth, or laughing over coffee.

Otherwise, youʼll find our entire crew together at Costco, working out in the yard, at the park, running an errand or two, and finding any excuse to make the mundane fun by simply being together.


8ish
Baths, wet wraps for eczema, picking up bedrooms (again), and reading...
I finish cleaning up the kitchen while the Preacher reads, and squeezes in talks with each of the boys alone.

 
Later

The house is silent, except for the churning of the dishwasher and hum of the dryer.
 
I feed the babe, and put him to bed, marveling all the while that I had this much love to give a fifth time around...
 
The Preacher and I retire to the family room, sip on chamomile, and converse about the day.
 
I write a post for the next day, inspired or not, because it helps me focus on what I really want to observe, celebrate, and wrestle with in life.
 
The Preacher works on strength training...yes, at 10 oʼclock at night.
 
We climb into bed, and pray aloud together. Itʼs always an honest reflection of our weakness and shortcomings and Christʼs great sufficiency and sovereignty.
 
“For from Him and through Him and to Him are all things. To Him be the glory forever. Amen.” (Romans 11:36)

 ***************************************************

thank you, ruth, for sharing your dedication and humility.
i LOVE this beautiful, real portrayal of being together.
xoxo,
annalea

0 comments:

Post a Comment

hey there. i love to read your comments! thanks for stopping by!