a day in the life of heather

 you are invited to spend a day in the life of her.

the gal who you might think has it all together.  the mama who seems to do it all. 
guess what?  she doesn't.

let's fight those lies.  this new series is an effort to dispel the superwoman myth.  it is a time to be encouraged and a place to be challenged. 

i have invited some wonderful women who want to be real with y'all.  they want to share their struggles and triumphs.  they want to give you a true glimpse into their everyday.  it might not be glamorous, but it is real and beautiful.

each thursday this summer, come walk a bit in the shoes of another.

***************************************************

Hello friends!! My name is Heather and I blog over at Life Made Lovely. I'm so honored to be here today.  I adore Annalea and was willing to participate in any series she'd be hosting, but when she explained the concept of this particular series I was thrilled.   I'm striving to live an authentic life and embrace the parts that aren't what I had planned them to be. You see, in 2007 my infant son Samuel passed away from bacterial meningitis and since that day, nothing has been as I planned. By the grace of God though, it's all been more lovely then I ever could have imagined.  It's not because my days are easy and always happy. My days are hardly ever like that. Living on this earth without one of my children often feels impossible to me.  I sometimes often wish I could run and hide from it, but God just won't seem to let me do it. He keeps lifting me up and pointing out all these little bits of lovely that live around me.

Being the parent of a child that's waiting for you in Heaven is challenging on a daily basis.  It's like trying to live without one of your limbs! The only way I've been able to make it through is with God's never ending comfort. When others, and I'm referring to the 98% of the world that would rather have a root canal than talk about the loss of a child, run the opposite direction, He never leaves me. I can always talk to God and He always understands. THAT'S what makes my life lovely. THAT'S how I find joy everyday. God helps me to see that even the moments that make me want to rip out my hair still contain beauty if you're willing to look for them.

7am-ish
My husband has already left for work.  The kids and I rise and shine...
ready (sorta) for the day.  I pour some orange juice for the littles
and make coffee for myself.  I also remind my 7 year old to feed the dog
and answer the pleas of my 2 year old to turn on Ni Hao Kia-Lan.

DSC_0002

While I make breakfast my son builds Legos.

DSC_0006

After breakfast we run around like crazy people brushing teeth, getting dressed,
and combing hair so we can leave for school on time.  Then it's out the door to
get out the bicycle and scooter.  Miss Piper climbs into her little one kiddo bike
caboose, I hop on my bike, my son grabs his scooter, and we're off for the almost
one mile commute to school.  Even though it's already over 90 degrees outside, I
don't mind.  I REALLY like not having to deal with the pickup/drop off line at school.

DSC_0074

Once we're home, since we're already all sweaty, we head out
to water our thirsty plants and play in the backyard for a bit.

DSC_0018vintage


DSC_0030vintage

Time to go inside for showers and to get dressed for the day.
Oh, and it's time to clean up those dishes from breakfast.

DSC_0012

Now it's time to throw in some laundry.
Sometimes my girl helps and sometimes she just
dumps her toys all over the back patio.

DSC_0060

Once we've got the laundry going I try to  jump on the computer to answer a
few emails and see if I can squeeze in a bit of work that's waiting to be finished.

DSC_0049

While I do that, my girl has craft time.
Stickers, crayons, and her own notepad will keep her busy for a while.

sticker time

Until she's ready for a snack that is.

DSC_0047

Once snack time's over we'll play a few rounds of "Where's Piper at?"

DSC_0043

Noonish
Time for lunch!
Another request for "more Ni Hao Momma?"
so that she can watch it while she eats, and then
I'm off to clean up the house from Typhoon Piper
and talk to God while I do it.

lunch!

"Raise your hand if you covered your hands, face,
and shirt in cheese while eating your lunch."
That's my girl!

who has cheese on their face? i do!

1pm-ish
Naptime for the little one and work time for this momma.
Before I sit down at the computer though I'm off to start another load
of laundry.  Wait...what is this?  The laundry basket is EMPTY?!
This is a first and must be documented for posterity sake.
I mean, it's highly likely this will never happen again.

DSC_0170

Well, if this isn't real then I don't know what is.
No makeup, hair pinned back in multiple places to keep
it off of my face, and my $3.99 Gap clearance t-shirt.
Oh, one of my favorite pairs of earrings, too.
This is me, in real life, really happy that the laundry's done.
For today at least.

DSC_0183 copy

Okay, it's time to get back to work.  After all, nap time doesn't last
that long around here.  I go to sit down at the computer, which now lives in
my dining room, and glance over to see that I still need to hem those curtains.
I'm pretty sure that at this point it's not a matter of forgetting, but that I've
developed a mental block against doing it.

still need to hem those drapes

4pm-ish
My boys pull up in the driveway from school and work.
So happy to have them both home!  Nap time's over, too.
Now, it's time to hear how everyone's day was over a snack
and then head outside for a swim.

IMG_3760

Swim little fishies, swim!

IMG_3444

5pm-ish
Time to make dinner and talk with God some more while
I'm doing it. I'm not very good in the kitchen, but I am getting better.
I think my pretty refrigerator door is helping immensely.

adding a little lovely to the fridge

6:30pm-ish
Bath time.
Little girl bed time.
Then it's off to cuddle with my boy and read our latest book.
Right now we're reading Moby Dick thanks to Target's $1 bins.

8pm-ish
Big boy bed time and a
 little more work for this momma.

late night work time

9:30pm-ish
Turn off the computer, cuddle on the couch with my man,
and watch a recorded episode of American Pickers.

10:30pm-ish
Off to bed.
More prayers and a little reading until
my eyes are ready to shut.
Nighty-night!

Thanks for letting me participate in this with you Annalea!
You are a treasure!  -xo Heather

***************************************************

thank YOU, heather, for the honesty, joy, and loveliness you share with these words.  He really never does leave us.
xoxo,
annalea

0 comments:

Post a Comment

hey there. i love to read your comments! thanks for stopping by!