how to make pretty spring pillowcases

spring pillows

so last summer, we bought this amazing couch.  we just love it.  but it is super duper deep and to sit comfortably, you must have big pillows on the back.  i have been trying to make a variety of cases over the last 10 months in order to spice up the living room seasonally.

the challenge?  to use materials on hand.  i mean it.  not spending a dime.  well i bought the pillow forms, but other than that i have been frugally trying to channel my inner tim gunn.  make it work.  i hit a roadblock this winter and never finished these because nothing i had really spoke to me.  i was afraid that was happening again as spring approached.  i had ideas - mostly involving ruffles and lace - but i couldn't pull it together.  finally, something just clicked one night.  i have this amazing box of sample fabrics and trims sent over from my amazing friend jane (still owe a post on that one. . .) and i feel like a kid in a candy store everytime i open it up.  these gorgeous trims were included in the package.  coming across them while cleaning out the craft area (which does wonders for my creative juices) i felt inspired.

materials used:
assorted trimmings - lace, ribbons, etc.
white cotton
pink striped chenille
grass green thread
sewing machine, scissors, rotary cutter, ruler, straight pins, etc.

grass trimmings pillowcases

i started by collecting the trims i would use, playing with the colors and textures.

grass trimmings pillowcases

i added some ribbon from my stash.

grass trimmings pillowcases

i  began arranging them on the cotton squares that would make the front of the pillows. playing around with the color and width placement was so much fun.  yeah, i am a bit of a dork.  that's okay.

grass trimmings pillowcases

inspired by the idea of new grass growing, i cut the tips at angles.  using a clear ruler helps with the spacing before pinning.

grass trimmings pillowcases

i chose green thread because 1) changing the thread to coordinate with each trim seems like torture to me and 2) it furthers the grass idea. 

grass trimmings pillowcases

one down, two to go

spring pillows

pale pink striped chenille on the backs with an envelope closure

spring pillows

oooh, likin' the textures all together

spring pillows

tada!  three pretty spring pillowcases.

24 comments:

inadvertent farmer said...

It reminds of me colorful and funky seaweed! Those ROCK...great use of what you had on hand! Kim

Lora said...

i totally LOVE them! amazing! great idea of what to make with trims... :)

nicole said...

i like...i thought of grass right away.

Peeper said...

Those are awesome!! Good job!

stephanie said...

Love these! So spring-like! Again, you amaze me with your creativity! :)

Meredith said...

stopping by from bcd Wednesday linkup. these are wonderful! I'm going to make some for sure. JUST what i was looking for!

Delia said...

I love these pillows. You have a pretty sweet ribbon stash.

shelly said...

What a cheery setting! Love the green walls and pink curtains---the pillows are absolutely fab!

kristenly said...

i love your pillows but i really love your pink curtains! my husband would die if i put up pink curtains.

annalea said...

thanks so much for all the sweet compliments!

the curtains are actually red (michael miller's dainty damask fabric) and the walls are a sunny yellow. but my point and shoot camera mixed with low lighting doesn't always make for the best depiction of the room. :)

arkie said...

Love the pillows you made! They really say spring!

Leanne said...

The pillows are gorgeous. I need to make some to use all my scraps. They scream Spring to me. Love your curtains too.

Lorie said...

Those are so fun! And I have been trying to find cute pillows for my daughters room and this might just be the solution.

Unknown said...

these are fantastic! I have quite the ribbon stash that I need to dig into...
we have a friday fun find party every week- I linked to this. hopefully we'll see you again next week. :)

Anke said...

Those are awesome! They really pep up the place and you can make them to fit any color scheme. Very very pretty!

Sixty-Fifth Avenue said...

These are the cutest pillows, ever! And you made them! I am your new follower.
Londen

Kristi said...

Love these! I may to try them for myself.

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

Wow, these are gorgeous! I love all teh colors. Thanks for sharing the directions. I would love to link to this if you didn't mind.

Rachelle @ Aud and Crafts said...

These are super cute and a great way to use up scraps. I love that you challenge yourself to only use what you have at home, I try to do the same. I recently made a stuffed monkey, a super hero cape, and barretts without spending a dime; I loved it!

Unknown said...

fantastic way to use all the scraps of ribbons and trims.

thanks for the tutorial.

i set a link and i hope you'll agree.

doro.

Heidi said...

Klasse, gefällt mir super.

LG heidi

Farah said...

Very creative and as wel as under the tag of TRASH TO TREASURE... really love your idea, I have lots and lots of trims... so now you give me something very unique.. love it...
http://craftaworld.blogspot.com/
Its my blog may be you find something interesting there too...

Dilek Dursun said...

I like this pillow.ı must try this.thanks...

Dilek Dursun said...

 I like this pillow.ı must try this.thanks...

Post a Comment

hey there. i love to read your comments! thanks for stopping by!