a day in the life of amy

you are invited to spend a day in the life of her.


the gal who you might think has it all together.  the mama who seems to do it all. 
guess what?  she doesn't.

let's fight those lies.  this series is an effort to dispel the superwoman myth.  it is a time to be encouraged and a place to be challenged. 

i have invited some wonderful women who want to be real with y'all.  they want to share their struggles and triumphs.  they want to give you a true glimpse into their everyday.  it might not be glamorous, but it is real and beautiful.

  come walk a bit in the shoes of another.
 
***************************************************
Hi there.
I'm Amy and I blog at Lucky Number13.
I am wife to Eric and (stay-at-home)mom to Wyatt, 7 and Charlotte, 5.
We have two old-lady beagles that cause a whole lot of trouble and we all live together in a nearly 100-year old house in Central Illinois.

I am happy to be here today sharing a bit of what our days look like.
I especially love getting real-life glimpses into how others manage their days and their lives and their families. I hope you enjoy getting a peek into some of my wonderful yet un-glamorous life while you are here.
All pictures are taken with my iPhone. 

******
I don't know about typical, but I documented one day in my life this week and here is a little bit of what it looked like...

6:30 a.m.
 I am up and have coffee and breakfast before the kids get up. Yay!
If  and when I am up before the kids, I will do a little reading(book), blog reading/writing or journal writing while I have a little peace and quiet.

This is my homemade cinnamon latte. I am proud of that froth, maybe a bit too proud.

wish I was an earlier riser than I am but right now I'm just not.
I blame it on the Winter, the cold mornings and the fact that it is still dark out and it is something I really want to change.  Luckily, Wyatt's school is a late start school so he does not get dropped off until 9:00, I like this a lot, it works for us.  Then, three days a week for a whopping 2 hours, Charlotte goes to preschool.  One of my jobs is to take them to and from school every day.

Cook, chauffeur, referee...you know the drill.

7:30 a.m.
I go back upstairs to my room for something and climb back in bed for a few minutes to turn on the news and check the weather.  Kids get up and come into bed to snuggle with me for a few minutes.  I love this part of the day.  The kids get always get dressed before they go downstairs on school days.  This is something that really helps things run smoothly in the morning for us.  Get dressed first, then breakfast.

Some days they watch cartoons before school, some days they don't.
My rule is that they have to be totally ready for school in order to turn on the TV though.
Breakfast is often cereal or oatmeal or muffins, today it is oatmeal.



I actually put on make-up and get myself presentable because I am volunteering in Wyatt's classroom this morning.  On normal days my hair is piled up on top of my head and I am in yoga pants, sans make-up...oh, and sans yoga.

If  I/we are ready on time in the morning I try and make the beds because I feel much better not having to come back home to a complete mess. It doesn't always happen though.

8:30 a.m.
We are out the door, or should be anyway.
We get outside, scrape the frost off the Jeep and do a quick prayer that it starts, she is sensitive to this cold weather, as am I.  Charlotte gets dropped off at preschool at 8:40.

9:05 a.m.
Wyatt and I head into school, the bell rings at 9:15.  I staple papers, make copies and get the Scholastic book orders ready for his teacher.  I love his teacher and being able to help out at school.

10:30 a.m.
Head out to get Charlotte, yep preschool is out at 10:40...weird time, I know.
We go to Hobby Lobby, where we wonder why the Easter stuff is out already...and then to the grocery store before heading home for lunch.



12:30ish
 Lunch time and yet another sink full of dishes...the dishwasher is broke and oh, how I wish it was fixed.



1:30ish
After lunch I do some housework-- clean the kitchen, answer emails, ichat with Eric while he is at work, clean up dog pee... you know, the usual stuff.

Then Charlotte and I bake some cookies and listen to some music in the kitchen.


On the afternoons that we are home I make  Charlotte has quiet time in her bedroom.
Luckily she is very good at playing by herself and likes the quiet time, too--usually.
This is MY quiet time, too.
And I take it very happily, too.


3:30 p.m.
Head out to get Wyatt from school.  See the gas light?
Yep, I always run the car way too low.  Always.
And I especially shouldn't do it in the Winter....but I do.

I look at the passenger seat and see that I didn't drop the library books off and I did in fact pick up the laundry detergent I so desperately needed but didn't even take in the house--or start the laundry.
Oh well, there's always later...or tomorrow.



4:00
Back home again
Kids start making their Valentine's  and so do I ; )



4:30-5:30ish
While the kids finish up their Valentine's and eat a snack, I clean out Wyatt's lunch box and fix all but his sandwich for school the next day. I even put a napkin back in his lunch box along with his empty sandwich container so that is the only thing I have to do in the morning.

Then I do more dishes. And...ready for this?
Clean up dog pee again.
Then chase said dog that ran off...
Again.


I start picking up downstairs while supper is in the oven...
at least this end of the living room is clean enough to show you.
Ignore the Amazon boxes that have now been sitting there for a week, I need to return something.
And probably won't until next week if you wanna know the truth.

6:45ish
Daddy is finally home...hoooray!
Pajamas on, kids wrestle with daddy, tell them all about their day...
kids have a little bedtime snack then up to get pajamas on and brush teeth.
We all read books together on our bed and then the kids are in bed around 8:20ish.
They look at books/read in their beds for a while before they fall asleep.


9:00ish
Quiet time for mommy and daddy, finally.
Unfortunately, I am tired and have a headache and go to bed early...
while thinking of all of the things I hoped to get done after the kids went to bed.
Oh well, there is always tomorrow.

******

Every day I remind myself how fast time goes.
How my kids will be grown before I know it.
How important my job is.
How truly blessed I am.
How I always have another chance to do better tomorrow and how grateful I am for that.
Some days are easier than others but I will take them all.

***************************************************

well, amy, we live about 45 minutes apart and i think there is no reason why we shouldn't get an actual in person look at each other's days sometime, right?  :)  thank you for sharing a glimpse into your life here.  i love the end of your post - great reminders!
xoxo,
annalea

16 comments:

Karinaminteer said...

I'm exhausted just reading about your day. What a perfect peek into your life. I love how you keep your sweeties busy with such great basic activities. Can I come paint with you Amy?

Brandy said...

Oh! I love these series!  Keep 'em coming! :)

Nicole Brandt said...

Love Amy's blog. One of my favorites! Thanks for this series. It too is one one my favorites.

Tdpakosta said...

I adore Amy's blog!
love the Day in the Life! I am doing it every single month for 2012 on the 12th...fun!
tara

Laura Robey said...

1.Your homemade foam is worthy of bragging.
2. "....I am in yoga pants, sans make-up...oh, and sans yoga." made me laugh out loud (and sigh in relief that others also live this way)
3. Your chalkboard canisters are such a GREAT idea!!!
4. thanks for sharing and I hope your dishwasher is repaired soon! :)

The Frat Pack + Me said...

I love Amy!  Sipping a hillbilly latte and junking with Amy are on my bucket list ;-)

leslie@topofthepage said...

I love you Amy. You are so refreshingly real. I never feel like you're trying to manage your image, or drum up something that you're not. I like your humility. And it's amazing to me that even though we're thousands of miles apart, and are different in a lot of ways, my daily life is really very, crazily simliar to yours. Mothering, cooking, crafting, driving, reading, cleaning dog pee, saying "it will still be there tomorrow" and just going moment to moment, trying to do our best. (Except I never make the beds!)

Amy Bramer said...

annalea,
i meant to say in my post thanks so much for having me! like many others and probably moms especially, some days i feel like i have accomplished very little but this made me look at all i really do in a day and it was a good reminder to take it easy on myself. i think we can all use that reminder!
and yes, i think one day we will have to come for a visit, that would be fun! did i already tell you that my husband works over there? 

Sarah {Handbags*N*Pigtails} said...

Amy's blog is on my blogroll. She is always very real in her posts...something I appreciate in a blogger. I think we can all be tempted to make things "look better than they really are" for our readers. Its her down to earth, day to day life and honesty that keep me coming back. (Her home is great too. Some day Im gonna steal her church pew:))

Becky @ Farmgirl Paints said...

Girl 6:30 is early. I hate getting up when it's dark out. Wish I could be a morning person. I loved the day in a life Amy. I just know we would be really good friends if I still lived there. Bummer:(. Now I'm wondering where this girl lives...Bloomington, Springfield...Champaign??

Mary said...

i loved hearing about your day, amy.
and you're right, time is moving so fast!
what a great reminder to chill out and slow down. :)

Carrie @ the boonie life said...

I love your life, Amy.  And your cute house!  And your Jeep.  I have to laugh about that "yoga pants sans yoga" comment.  I don't know how many times I've put on exercise clothes and then never exercised.  Oh well.  :)  

FlowerPatchFG said...

LOVE this! Your last little paragraph should be my new mantra. Thank you for the reminder that ALL of these moments add up to a big, giant blessing. Your life looks very well-loved.

cailan matthews said...

 Love this snippet of real life - so realistically inspiring - I even borrowed your sponge-stamp craft idea for my kiddos today. Thank you for sharing, Amy!  Thank you for hosting, Annalea :)

Maxabella said...

A day in your life was a lovely way to spend some time, Amy. x

Fabulously Flawed said...


...oh, and sans yoga. "
I giggled so much at that!

Post a Comment

hey there. i love to read your comments! thanks for stopping by!